Monday, August 31, 2009

Peru, day 3

The trip and treatments in Peru continue to go very, very well.
Auntie is improving steadily. I cannot get over how well she's doing. For years, she has had debilitating back pain. Yesterday, she tripped off a step, which nearly gave ME a heart attack. But within a mintue or 2, she was fine. We then had a really great conversation (in English, Spanish and French!!) with the healer, Adan, about his life, his upbringing, his village, his culture, etc. Auntie was fascinated, and said how much fun it was. Now she knows what I do as I cartwheel around the world. I just like to talk to everyone about how they live, and what they do.

As you all know, I am absolutely fascinated by indigenous and cultural customs, so I'm thrilled to be able to witness and help. Unfortunately, Adan says we cannot speak of anything we see during the treatments, as these are ancient and sacred customs. So my lips are sealed. Yes, it IS hard for me to keep it quiet!! But this is not the first time I've witnessed indigenous traditions on the condition that I cannot speak of it.
All I can say is that I'm lucky to be here.
And I hope to be able to report good news upon Auntie's return to her western medical docs back in Canada.

No comments: