Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hong Kong!

I am posting this from Singapore.

On the way here, I spent a 9 hour layover in Hong Kong. I was last there in 1988, so thought it would be cool to see how it had changed. And WOW, has it ever!
When I was there back then, Hong Kong was the first place I visited as I traveled solo across Asia. It was foreign, confusing, had NO English and smelled like Chinese 5 spice. It was the first place I had ever seen beggars with deformities.
Well now, HK has english signs everywhere, directing you to any landmark you might like. The people speak english. There is a mass transit system that takes 24 minutes from the airport to downtown. The people seem to be from all over the world, not only China. It was modern and clean, and lots of new construction.

I especially liked the advertising for all sorts of things.

winging into Hong Kong

Hong Kong

easy peasy! English signs pointing your way to any landmark

Hong Kong

hangover from SARS and H1N1

view from Victoria Peak

slope stability works

more slope stabilisation stuff

lion statue

me, on Victoria Peak

No Smoking lion


found a display about dim sum. THis kid REALLY likes it

cleaning the photo display

I was highly disturbed by how much this child enjoys meat balls

is it a cloud?

I have NO idea why the Marriott chose to advertise with a spider as big as a pillow

Victoria Peak tram

Hong Kong

will be sterilised every 2 hours? A method of money laundering?

Hong Kong skyline from the Star Ferry

and now we know what Clark Kent wears

food experimentation in HK. Had to wait for the mochi to thaw for 20 mins. Tasty, but :(

skyline on Tsim Sha Sui side, HK harbour

construction on reclaimed land

No comments: