Monday, February 18, 2008

A Tooth Crunching Week

So, my HUGE news this week is that I have achieved my goal of finding international work. While in LA, I had a 2nd meeting with a company based there, but doing work in Africa. This week, I sent them a proposal to work with them, and they went for it!! Very exciting. And pretty sweaty armpits, holy shit, can't believe I'm doing it, wow, kinda scary. I guess I might be a little more stressed than I really thought, as a piece broke off my tooth this morning - YIKES.
Anyway, this company is really amazing. They are only 8, well now with me, 9 people. 6 of them are from the Democratic Republic of Congo. (Yup, one of the most dangerous places on earth. More on that later.) The founder wants to prove to the world that honest, reliable, fair business can be done in DRC, which is the richest country in Africa in natural resources. He has been working to do this for about 5 years now, and is starting to have a great reputation, and local sellers are approaching him to work with him, as they prefer to work with someone local, and working to give back to the DRC. Also, the guys are extremely well-connected and all well-respected within their various tribes. They tell me that I will not need a visa, as I will be provided with a letter of invitation from the President. [Feel free to say Holy CRAP, as this is blowing my mind too.]
The other guys are Americans, and also well-connected in business.
This company is acting to facilitate business in and out of DRC. So they will buy resources, export them, and sell them. And they will find sellers, and find buyers, and connect the deal. Also, when a western company wants to access the DRC market, they will act as a mediator, and help to connect them with the right contacts in high levels of govt.
The brilliance, in my opinion, of this structure is that they have well-connected locals on both continents, working very closely together. It's not easy for foreigners to do business in Africa, as we have no clue how the Africans think, and we don't know who to trust. BUT, it's also not easy for the Africans to work with Westerners. We all need to learn, and be really flexible.
My job will be to act as a liaison between the Africans and the Western way of thinking. I will spend lots of time in DRC - maybe as much as 9 months a year? I am great with other cultures, so will help the Africans to work with the foreign businessmen, and vice versa. It will be super-fun, as the Africans are pretty relaxed, and love to hang out, drink tea (or beer), and get to know the people they work with very well. I will spend a lot of time telling stories, and laughing!
I will also be assigned to work with one of the guys in a particular resource field. Not totally sure what that will be at this point.

As for the danger.....
Many would think that being a white woman would be a disadvantage - not so. For one, it is not macho to kill women. And I have a friendly personality, great smile, and body shape that really appeals to other cultures. All of the "gorgeous girls" who make movies in Hollywood - they are considered scrawny and unappealing in other cultures.
And I can talk my way through anything. I am very good at charming men with guns! :-)
The intent of this company is never to make a deal that does not benefit all parties. In addition to making plenty of money, they want to spend to help develop the country, focusing on the basics - education, infrastructure, public health, etc. So WHY would anyone local want to give us a hard time? We are the good guys.
And lastly, you know that spidey sense that tells you not to walk down that dark alley? Well, that's the same sense that keeps me out of trouble. Just steer clear of crowds and tension. You have to be incredibly unlucky or incredibly stupid to get into major trouble overseas. Try being nice - you'd be surprised how much trouble that will save you.

Once I get settled, and get everything all figured, and know how to be safe and secure, you could pop over for a visit! Africa is so interesting - I've lived there for a few months, and it's so fun to see what the local customs are like, go to weddings, baby showers, and other parties. It's a blast. I look forward to seeing you there!

3 comments:

Jah-Knees Rye-lee said...

OK - I'll bite and call you on it.

I think at this time it is appropriate to remind you of the culture shock experienced when chickens were in your bedroom in THE Gambia. Not that I blame you, but 2 weeks volunteering is different than 9 months working.

Now that's off my chest -- CONGRATULATIONS! Go, Auntie Leduc!

I look forward to hearing the zillions of stories that follow you wherever you go, and leaving a ton of comments (it's always nice to know that someone is reading your blog!)

Stay safe and have fun!

J.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! This is so exciting and scary at the same time. I'm so proud of you. You are going to rock at this new job.

Looking forward to living vicariously though you by reading your blog. Awesome idea by the way.

Take Care
Liana

Anonymous said...

T,
Sooo exciting!!
I new you could do it. Please be extra careful and I know I don't need to tell you to have fun because you do that everywhere.

ditto on the living vicariously through you comment above. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures, as always.
Luv ya.
JaimeBart