Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Early Christmas Miracle

As I mentioned a while ago, I am planning a trip to Jamaica to celebrate the start of my [yikes!!] Fifth Decade. I'm travelling with my superstar acupuncturist, Dr. Tough Love aka Jenn. We'll be staying at the Negril Yoga Centre, across from 7 Mile Beach. It sounds amazing!!!!! Yoga on offer daily, staying in a rustic cabin for super-cheap, walk lots, snorkel daily, and of course we'll run in the Reggae Marathon. Oh yah, and nightly live reggae on the beach. And rum punches. Etcetera. Yah mon. Irie.
There are a couple other activities available too. Jenn wants to try parasailing, which I think sounds like a lovely opportunity for a marine colonic. And I hear the SCUBA diving is terrific too.... which leads me to today's happy miraculous occurence.

I got my dive certification on a holiday to Belize in, ummmm, 2004, and haven't had a chance to use it since. And let's think about how many times I have moved since then.... Yikes! And let's also reflect on my situation - in Smithers I had a house with 3 floors, and about 2500 square feet of space. In Fort St John, I was down to 1190 square feet and a crawl space. Here in Kamloops, I have a bedroom (12x14 feet), and a number of boxes. Oh crap......that's a lot of nooks and crannies where a little plastic card could hide!
I had a few guesses where I'd locate my certification card, but..... yikes. Hmmm, in a drawer in my desk? No. With my old passports in Cousin Kenny's safe? No. Maybe I left it in Africa, thinking that was where I'd most likely use it? Hope not.
OK, so things started getting serious. WHERE was that dang card?!?!? As we already know, I'm not one for pristine organisational systems, so I was really turning over every rock.... I have emptied (and now cleaned out) every drawer in my bedroom. Still nuthin'. Under the bed? Nuthin'!
This morning I tackled my closet. I moved out 6 empty backbacks and other bags, a couple dozen pairs of shoes/boots, a carpet from Turkey, clothes hamper, shoe rack.... and then found a duffle that contained some of the contents from my underwear and sock drawer in FSJ. (Even my dresser drawers here are smaller than I've had in the past!) So, of course I start going through all that stuff, sorting and chukking out, and seeing the stuff I forgot I had. And HEY, there was a bit of paper....
OMG, it was my Dive Log AND my diver certification card!!!!! WHY I would throw that in with old socks and underpants is beyond my reckoning, but.... YAY, I GET TO GO DIVING IN JAMAICA!!!!
I'm on the plane to Montego Bay Sunday, and back in BC on the 15th. The Reggae (Half) Marathon is Dec 6, starting at 5 AM. That's 4 hours ahead of Pacific Time, for insomniacs who want to track it in real time.

Oh, and P.S. Remember how I've been training for bikini photos? I am proud to say that I weigh the same at my 40th birthday, as I did for my 30th. I even have to buy a new bikini, as the ones I bought in July are TOO BIG FOR ME now. FYI, I ran 20km last Sunday. And 8km last night. I'll do 1.5 hours of yoga today, and run 15km tomorrow....Fithotness at 40 is no gimme.

No comments: