Friday, November 27, 2009

American Thanksgiving

I spent my first American Thanksgiving in Mill Valley, which is just outside San Francisco, California. Have I mentioned recently that I love California???? I really do.





My hosts were Woody and Jill, and they had 17 guests. Holy cow. And the most beautiful table I have ever seen.



It's interesting, as we have the same holiday in Canada, with a few similarities:

  • end of harvest family holiday
  • lots of food
  • fun

and a few differences:

  • earlier eating (we sat at 4 PM, rather than 6ish up north)
  • started the day with Macy's Christmas Parade
  • lots of football on tv
  • falls on Thursday, while we celebrate on Sunday or Monday
  • November holiday, and Cdn Thanksgiving is in October
  • Black Friday shopping is the following day (rather like our Boxing day sales the day after Christmas)

Anyway, it was a great day, and I am thanksful to Jill and Eric for their wonderful hospitality.

No comments: